Location: The Hernandez Lab, University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) Department of Medicine
Start date: ASAP
Are you interested in a rewarding research career at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB)? The Hernandez Lab at the UAB Department of Medicine, Division of Gerontology, Geriatrics and Palliative Care is seeking a highly motivated Researcher I, II or III to perform a wide variety of moderately complex laboratory tasks and animal experiments.
The lab will provide the successful candidate with the opportunity to learn behavioural and molecular techniques including cognitive characterisation, physical health assessments, DNA/RNA/protein extraction and quantification, histology, microscopy and other techniques under direct supervision. The position requires both assisting others and performing various support functions in the research laboratory independently.
- Under minimal supervision, will perform some or all of the following depending on candidate’s education and experience level.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Sets up and performs experiments and procedures in support of lab goals.
- Develops and improves techniques for the lab.
- Contributes to planning/design of studies.
- Collects, enters, summarizes and analyses data.
- Monitors results, detects and reports unusual outcomes and suggests modifications.
- May assist in planning long or short term goals/fiscal management.
- Performs maintenance of lab equipment and supplies.
- Performs animal husbandry and care.
- Conducts rat experiments and monitors body weight and behaviour on a daily basis.
- Collects rat blood and tissue as needed.
- Performs routine histology, immunohistochemistry, and flow cytometry as needed.
- Cleans lab (biowaste, glassware).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Will be commensurate with experience.
UAB also offers a comprehensive suite of health and retirement benefits to all benefit-eligible employees.
- Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree in a science related field upon starting the position.
- On the job training is available, but candidates with prior experience with research animals and/or in a basic science lab is preferred
- Experience in animal handling and husbandry preferred
- Excellent communication skills in a professional setting
- Detail oriented
- Highly organized and have the ability to multitask
- Must be proficient with basic computer skills and Microsoft Office software (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Access)
- Must maintain a strong work ethic and good time management skills
By applying to this "evergreen" posting, you are expressing interest in future positions at UAB. This job ad is a proactive way to share your resume with us. All applications will be reviewed on a timely basis.